On a journey to shake up the status quo in Sports & Recreation to refocus attention to people and inclusion rather than structure.
With 20+ years leadership experience in higher ed, recreation & community development and utilizing a framework of Belonging - where people feel Invited, Welcome & Included - I developed innovative strategies, curated meaningful collaborations and mentored changemakers resulting in:
- Participant growth from 11,000 to over 30,000 registered program participants per year in recreation services without population growth or new facilities
- Significant participant growth in targeted groups such as LGBTQ+, Indigenous, PWD & International communities
- Collaborations that reduced social isolation affecting seniors, improved Early childhood Development Instrument scores and enhanced youth engagement
- Over $4 million of grant funding from multiple sources for facility construction and enhancements, employee development, and community led initiatives.
- Enhancing the profiles of several organizations through cultivating strategic collaborations with community stakeholders, governments and social service providers to ensure sustainable collaborations were delivered in meaningful ways
As Executive Director, I led The Genesis Centre, a $120 million multi-purpose complex which enriches the health, wellness, and unity of communities in Northeast Calgary. In addition to offering sport and recreation amenities, the venue also acts as a cultural, social, and educational hub of the community. The facility includes two indoor boarded sport fields, four full size gymnasiums/event halls, several multi-purpose and meeting spaces, food services facilities, and commercial lease space. The facility also houses the Saddletowne YMCA, a branch of the Calgary Public Library, and 1000 Voices - a space dedicated to human social services.
I have extensive experience in the creation, administration, and assessment of leading-edge co-curricular programs through my work as Program Manager, Recreation at Mount Royal University and in my previous role as the Associate Director, Campus Recreation and Business Development at the University of Waterloo. I oversaw a comprehensive recreational program for over 30,000 participants that fostered active, healthy lifestyles, and life-long learning through sustainable and inclusive practices. I demonstrated multiple capabilities necessary for maximizing participation and achieving operational excellence. A success is the leadership I provided to strategic planning efforts to minimize the constraints to participation which resulted in an increase in programmed participation from 11,000 to over 30,000 participants per year.
Along with my Master of Arts Degree in Leadership, I have over 20 years of experience in leadership development through student service positions at several post secondary institutions. I have provided direct leadership to many high-performance teams through mentoring, providing professional development, shared leadership opportunities, and change management. I have demonstrated my commitment to ensuring a respectful, collaborative, and engaging work environment.